Re: (ET) My deck fell apart. Drat.

John J Casey wrote:
I've had three ET mowers, a new one in '72, a new casting from Gunn in '00 or '01 and a wheelhorse deck off ebay in '07. As with RJ, all were the same in that there was a machine screw and nut that held the bracket to the deck with the bracket tube end hammered over to keep the bar in place.

Oh ok, that's easy. I'll take a look at the deck for a locking screw though; I don't think it ever had a hammer over. Maybe it was held in by rust, and the flexing from going backwards just loosened it up.

Think you've mentioned a rusty deck problem in the past....the right rear corner comes to mind. Don't know how pervasive the rust is but could it be that the roller bar popped out due to a rusty condition that let the deck flex too much. My original '72 deck had angle iron welded across the top of the deck for support. The Gunn and WH models did not have/need the extra iron.

Yeah both rear corners. That's a nasty place, leaves and junk get stuck in behind the bracket which traps moisture and so forth and so on. It' basically pock-marked rust, not totally shot.

For moderate, even pock-marked rust I use Dupont Metal Conditioner 5717S. The cleaned-up metal can be welded or bondo-ed.

I'll try that. Will be a good chance to test out the elec-trak welder actually. The deck is a bit big to braise with a hand propane torch, so welding might be the best way to close the holes up.

Chris