Re: (ET) My deck fell apart. Drat.

Early models had a small machine screw & nut on those brackets to keep the rod in. In order to save production costs, later brackets simply had smashed the outer end of the tube shut. Simple , elegant and infinitely adjustable. :)

RJ

Christopher Zach wrote:
Well, it's fall; deck season. This time I had an unusual one: While mowing backwards I noticed that the rear bar for the rollers had fallen out of the two side brackets.

Fortunately I didn't run over any of my rollers, but it leaves a question: What is supposed to keep that bar in the brackets? Rust? Weld that finally broke? End plugs?

Also it looks like the back of my deck is starting to rust through. Great; any suggestions for that? I could try my welding skills but how can one clean up that metal to take a weld?

Chris