Re: (ET) chargers

Here's the initial report on the timers, after the ad hype, typos and so forth have been plowed through.

          The only contender here is the $8.00 Intermatic® {Assembled in Mexico.} Model TN-311C TimeAll timer. Ratings are 15 A resistive,( 1750 W .) 12A full load continuous inductive. They allege it will survive an A/C unit with a stalled compressor load of 72 LRA.
Allows 'On' time as short as one half hour per 24 hour period.

          An experiment with my dumb FR charger may be in order. :)I'd only have to reset the timer on the tractor every 18 to 36 days.

          The other one, that's really clever but falls short in the ratings department is also an Intermatic® product, their Model HB 35 R.
This unit's ratings are 10 A  resistive, tungsten or inductive [ 1200 W.] .The LRA rating falls to 60 A.

            There's a pretty good reason for this. While the other, indoor only timer plugs directly into a receptacle, the outdoor unit sports a one foot long  #18 grounded cord.With a fully discharged tractor connected, bad things would likely happen.

             It also allows an 'On' period as short as a half hour.

            If I can figure out how to get these both apart. I'm going to compare the timers and their switch contacts.Maybe a cord upgrade is in order?
The outdoor model has a clever rain tight enclosure for access to the timer dial and manual on/ off switch.The switched outlet is on the bottom of the unit, somewhat out of the weather.A single keyhole mount provides a quick way to attach it to wall or studs.

         Yes, clever, but potentially inadequate for this experiment. May need more briefing.Need to look at small 7 day timers. :)

RJ

RJ Kanary wrote:
          For $8.00 or so one can purchase an Interdynamics HD timer
advertised locally for 15A loads such as A/C units.Plug & play.Ad copy
doesn't specify the number of cycles, or whether or not it is a seven
day timer.

        Intermatic® offers an outdoor use timer with similar ratings
with two on / off cycles available per 24 hours. For a buck or so
more.The local paper advertisements unfortunately don't give the model
numbers, only pictures.

Might have to coerce my son to go out and buy one of each. :)

RJ

Neil Dennis wrote:

On the JD-90 the charger had two timers, one was a manual turn on that
did the main charge, the other was an automatic that 'burped' the batts
once a day for a few minutes.  JD recommended that the charger be
plugged in all the time the mower was parked to allow that 'burp" to
work.  Unfortunately that timer died several years ago.  {:-'{

wombat