Re: (ET) Advice on setting up and E20 and front Deck

 I get very good cutting with my rear discharge ET mower deck. The mower deck is the weak point in all tractors used for yard mowing. So you have to take extra care of the deck. The blades are the most important. KEEP them sharp and balanced. If they are starting to wear out replace them. Make sure they are installed correctly, so that the blade lifts the grass up. You can mount them backwards, I did this once. Make sure the motors are turning in the same direction (wiring issue).

 Next KEEP the deck clean. Scrape the rust and old grass out and paint the underside with epoxy paint. Turn all the bolts around so that the heads are inside the deck (less bolt for the grass to get caught on). Use stainless steel hardware so you can get the bolts out later.  Fix or reengineer any thing that stops the grass from exiting the deck. Do not remove the baffles. Be sure the rubber flap is in good condition, this is a safety item that should not be over looked. Make sure the wheels and rollers are true and free to move. Push the deck by hand on a smooth flat surface to check for aliment and resistance. You will be surprised how hard an old deck is to move.

 Put rollers on each end and one in the middle at the rear of the deck (See my website for deck pictures). The rollers on the end help keep the metal end bracket from digging into the dirt. If the rollers are worn out the bracket starts to catch on the ground. I only have ET's to cut my 2.5A of grass so I have spent some time making the deck work well. I have started cleaning the deck out after every mow to prevent rust and smell of fermenting grass. The wife demanded this as the garage is attached. I use a rubber spatula so the deck paint is not scratched (causes rust) and then spray the deck out with water. Do not spray the motor shafts directly with water. Run the mower to dry the deck after washing it out.

http://wb9tlh.smugmug.com/gallery/863089_DMbQ2#38901909_ttbrU

This picture was taken before the white epoxy painting was done.

http://wb9tlh.smugmug.com/gallery/863089_DMbQ2#38901907_tir2T

  Good luck!

   Dwight