(ET) E8M Clutch Linkage Adjustment

Greetings all, I need some information and help on my
E8M. When I purchased it about 6 months ago, it would
kind of move on it's own. Now it won't and decided
that I should look at the drive belt first and see if
it needed adjustment. When I got it all uncovered, the
belt was so loose that with the clutch all the way
back to drive, it has well over an inch of slack. With
the clutch all the way forward, it kind of fell off
the pulley. I got it back on very easily and figure it
might be too stretched to be any good. Also, I took
the linkage bar off as it appeared bent, to see if it
could be straightened. The threaded end is bent in two
different directions and I am not sure I can fix it.
Also, it is about 1/4 inch thick and so flexible that
I wonder if it will really strong enough to last if
replaced by an equivalent type of link rod.

1) Does anyone know what current belt number is a
replacement for the original?

2) I am thinking of making a replacement of something
much stronger on the order of Tool Steel as it won't
bend as easily. Would this be a problem because of
it's strength? Does anyone know where I can get a
replacement equivalent of the original if it is best
to stay with the original? As an option, would it be
better to make up one like the original, only a
thicker metal rod? What about an angle end made of the
similar size to fit the clutch pedal end and a
threaded fitting  on the end with a thicker rod in
between to increase the strength of the rod?

I am trying to get it operational for the summer
mowing season, so I won't have to use my ice mower any
more. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions or
replacement parts. Daniel Eyk

Daniel Eyk
Vancouver, Wa.

Electric S-10 project