(ET) Battery evaluation

Thanks Jim for the address explanation. Now, I can post another relatively dumb question: I have several batteries laying around in various states of charge between pretty good and maybe dead. When I connect a charger that has a current meter on it, which, I assume shows the amount of current being drawn during charging, what is that telling me about the state of the battery's charge? It seems that if the current indicated starts out high then goes down in a few hours to about zero, that it is accepting the charge and its a good battery. If it starts out near zero, I assume it is pretty well charged already and is a good battery. When the current starts out at about 5or 6 amps and stays there for days, the battery is not charging and is probably no good. Is that a reasonable assessment? I don't have a load tester. I'm looking for affirmation and any additional thoughts.

Bill
E-12