Re: (ET) Motor out

I seem to recall it was pretty straightforward. I remember one motor I disassembled had a neat clip thing that would hold the brushes up out of the way so they would clear the bearing. You release it through a hole in the case I think - it's been too long ago since I did a traction motor. Mark the end cap alignment. Some can be rotated 180 out. McMaster has the bearings. Don't lose the shim washers on the end of the shaft. Don't sand the armature with oxide (??) sandpaper - some sandpaper is conductive and can short out the armature. I disassemble and clean up all the bolted together connections.

- SteveS

Chris Zach wrote:
Ok, the motor is out and on the bench. Fortunately the 4 field wires are held in place by one of those cable clamp things. So the clamp kept the wire from ripping out inside the motor.

Good GE. Good good GE. Wise people at GE.

Anyway, I used a crimp on insulated barrel connector and put the clamp back on. There's enough slack inside the motor to do this. Once again, good GE thing. Now I'll put the motor back in (helps to have a jack) and see what happens.

For the spring I should probably R&R the motor. Any advice or manuals on taking it apart? How does one get the rear brush assembly out?

Chris