Re: (ET) E20 motor at 48V

I used to work summers in a shipyard. One time we had a freighter in, the "Marine Electric". It had one of those motors and it was strange how narrow it was, but huge diameter. As I recall it was: steam turbine to generator to electric motor. Seems inefficient, but evidently, gearing down a turbine is not so efficient and very expensive. The motor drove the shaft directly.

- SteveS

Konstanty, Walter (GE Indust, ConsInd) wrote:
     High speed motors are stacked out for low inertia and high speed.
The Disney Cruise Ships are powered by 2-60,000HP ac motors that are 20'
high but only 3' long.....low speed, high torque for propeller shafts.
 ...Walt