Re: (ET) More Power Inverters

Mike,

Yes, from a strictly practical point of view a small generator is a good
idea.

But, I dislike ICE's as I have often been let down by the small gasoline
engine types in applications where they sit around for a long time
between uses.

Part of the reason for this experiment was to learn about inverters,
batteries and what it takes to power every day living.  Actually, if
anything the experience really gives you an appreciation for the energy
density of gasoline and other HC fuels vs. a battery.

When I originally considered the "backup power" problem, I was figuring
that there was really two different needs of backup power:

1. Short Term - a few minutes to several hours.
2. Long Term - days to weeks.

Of these, the most likely to happen the most often is events in the
"Short Term" category and can most easily be addressed (for me at least)
by a inverter/battery solution.  The Long Term power requirements can't
easily be met with a battery/inverter solution unless you are already
getting most of your daily power via a renewable energy source (PV,
wind, etc.).  Looking around for an energy source we normally have
stored in relatively large quantities I see... heating fuel oil!  To
address the Long Term power issues, my plan is to eventually build/find
a small portable diesel generator/alternator combo to charge batteries
and run the inverter.

-Russ