(ET) Lift motor problem solved

Ok, I figured out the lift problem.

After taping all the wires I tried it on the tractor. Same problem; would work in one direction, but would bog down in the other. Back to the shed.

Took the motor off the lift frame and tested it. Same problem. Then I pulled the gear and tried it. Worked fine. Ah. Now I noticed that the end screw that's over on the worm gear end was moving.

Problem solved. What was happening was this: When I went in one direction, it tended to "loosen" the screw and worked fine. But when I went to the other direction, the worm gear axle would "tighten" the screw which would bind the worm gear and armature.

Solution was to set the motor to run in the "loose direction" then tighten the screw till the motor just started to bind, then back off 1/3 turn. Then I tightened the set-bolt at the base of the screw while holding the screw in place with the screwdriver.

Problem solved, lift works fine. Which is good since this is one of the last of the great Bill Gunn lift motors. Brand new, with the spring-loaded gear and all that. It had better last for 20 more years.

Chris