Re: (ET) E15 alltrax death

At 09:49 AM 12/4/2007 -0700, Tim Humphrey wrote:
> [...]
I'm thinking two MOV's, one across the contacts and the other across the coil of the PTO contactor may be cheap insurance. Or maybe better to put one high power one across he Alltrax terminals, then the tractor wiring can help absorb some of the induced energy.

MOV's would not be a good choice. The ratio between their suppression voltage and maximum working voltage is quite large and not very precise so in this application they either end up conducting all the time or providing no protection.

In addition, unlike diodes they wear out during use.

The last thing you want to do is allow the energy into the wiring. If it gets there it's going to affect the controller. You need to suppress at the source.

Robert

http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/

From the Divided by a Common Language File (Edited to protect the guilty)
ME - "I'd like to get Price and delivery for connector Part # XXXXX"
Dist./Rep - "$X.XX Lead time 37 days"
ME - "Anything we can do about lead time?  37 days seems a bit high."
Dist./Rep - "that is the lead time given because our stock is live.... we currently have stock."