Re: (ET) [Fwd: [EVDL] The Case for the Electric Tractor] (fwd)

I think you are right about the ET's failure. It may have been a bit high priced, but I think, in the end, it's as you say - there was (and still may not be) the right infrastructure to support it properly. Perhaps though a more modern version with electronic controls would be feasible as it fits in to the 'don't repair it -replace it' mentality today. In this case it would be replace an electronic module or motor. Coupled with the positive aspects of low noise, no exhaust, and no gas cans I hold out hope that we'll see modern ETs everywhere some day.

- SteveS

Pieter Litchfield wrote:
SteveS:

I think the ET never really took off in the marketplace because of its dual nature. Mower dealers really didn't want to sell it because they had to learn how to service electric and electronic circuits and parts. That's not what your average lawn care dealer was doing in the 60s and 70s, or today for that matter. Since the ET had golf cart guts, for the most part, why not sell it through golf cart dealers? How many do you shop at? Golf cart dealers are relatively few and far between, and often do a small retail trade. So IMHO the ET failed because there was no "infrastructure" in the marketplace to support it. The logical sales folks couldn't service it and the service folks couldn't sell it.

I really don't have a solution - maybe there are 'all electric" stores, or soon will be. But in the meantime, its kinda of a in-between vehicle still.

I think an ET with the modern golf cart controller ( http://www.alltraxinc.com/index.html) is close to what you suggest, even though it still uses the plain vanilla lead acid batteries. I have an Alltrax especially programmed for the ET, but have yet to install it. Now I just need an infallible charger.....