Re: (ET) How NOT to check your batteries...

You're right, of course, however it bears noting that my mistake was not
checking the battery water levels properly.  No charger or charge
controller in
the world would've prevented my mistake, except to maybe stop the charging
and
flag the event as you note.  The batteries would still have been in a
depleted
state until I found them later.

Historically, I checked the level in only the middle cell of each battery,
not
realizing that the cells don't "pool" together.  I must check each cell
individually, because each cell is sealed off from the others.

--
Jeremy Gagliardi
E20

of
>any battery manufacturer.
>
>It also has fairly minimal "smarts."  Most microprocessor based charge
>controllers have safety limits.  They can say to themselves, "Uh-oh, I've
been
>charging for 19 hours, and not only is the battery voltage still not up
where
>it should be, now the voltage is actually *falling*.  I guess something's
wrong.
> I'd better stop the charge and turn on my 'fault' light."  The Landis
> device
has
>no such safeguard.
>
>Of course, the original GE charger is even dumber.  ;-)
>
>> I saw "things" floating in the water.  Is that the legendary
>> sulfation I've heard so much about?
>
>Probably not.  Shed lead sulfate is relatively heavy and it doesn't
>float.
It
>sinks to the bottom of the cells.  If the battery gets enough vibration,
>it
may