Re: (ET) charging push mowers

On 19 Apr 2007 at 7:27, Neil Dennis wrote:

>  24 volt batt so should get to about 32 volts
> max and then stop there.  At least a minimum of about 30 volts.

These will probably be gel batteries, so 30 volts would be too much.  Most
AGMs should also not be charged that high.

For most gel batteries (absent instructions otherwise from the mfg.)
charge
to about 14.1 - 14.3 volts each, measured while on charge, with a constant
current or voltage-regulated charger.  This will also hold for most
low-end
AGM batteries.

Hawkers are an exception.  With those 14.8 volts per module is OK.

If the above voltage is held, the current will eventually drop to about
1-2%
of the amp-hour rating (expressed in amps).  That means they're fully
charged.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

    Their talk was the talk of sordid buccaneers: it was
    reckless without hardihood, greedy without audacity,
    and cruel without courage; there was not an atom of
    foresight ... in the whole batch of them, and they did
    not seem aware these things are wanted for the work of
    the world.

                    -- Joseph Conrad, "Heart of Darkness"