Re: (ET) digest mode

On 8 Apr 2007 at 19:42, jim donovan wrote:

> Is any one else getting spoof/etc emails?

I haven't received any spam from the listserver itself.  Maybe you're
getting spam with its address spoofed.

I used to get enormous amounts of spam on the address with which I posted
the ET list.  One day I ran a web search for my address, and discovered
that
it was all over the archive for this list.

http://cosmos2.phy.tufts.edu/mhonarc/elec-trak/

Regrettably, the archive is publicly readable and contains cleartext email
addresses.  The spambots harvest every address in this archive, so if you
post here I flat-out guarantee that you'll get spam on the account you
use.
If you post for a few years, you will eventually be inundated with spam.

Address obfuscation is an option for the archive's software (Mhonarc), but
the list manager has not (yet) implemented it.  So, the only way I know of
to avoid the spambots is to have TWO addresses associated with the ET list.

Create one address only for posting TO the list.  Configure the listserver
to not send mail to this account (that's an option).  Set this address up
with your host or ISP so that any mail you do receive on it is discarded.
If you don't have that level of control over your email, you can use a
webmail service with an option to deep-six all mail that isn't
whitelisted,
such as Lycos.  The spammers will blast you on this address, but it won't
matter since all their garbage goes right to the bit bucket.

Then, create a second address only for receiving FROM the list.  NEVER
send
anything to the list on this address.  (In fact I configured my email
program so that it CAN'T send mail to this address, only receive from it.)

That way the spammers won't find you, at least not through the ET archive.

The downside is that nobody else on the ET list can find you either, if or
when he or she wants to send you private email.

The solution is to make some kind of alternate arrangement to convey your
correct (reading or other) address, one which doesn't make it available to
the spambots spidering the ET archive.  I do this with a signature.  It
directs people to a website where my private email address can be found.
That website uses javascript to obfuscate the address so that it's
difficult
(though probably not impossible) for the spambots to find it.

Hope this helps.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

    Advertising (n): the science of arresting the human
    intelligence for long enough to get money from it.

                      -- Stephen Leacock