-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu
[mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu] On Behalf Of Tim
Humphrey
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 8:55 AM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) 12 Volt batteries!

  Here's my experience with new never used 6+ yr old batteries.

 These were Hawker Genesis batt's, I could reasonably expect any other
 brand to not fair as well as these...

 I received them in their unopened factory shipping boxes, they are all
at
 least 6 yrs old.

 If the open circuit voltage read 11 or better, I had a 99% success rate
 just plugging them into a Schumacher SpeedCharge charger
 http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-1200a.html (bought at Wal-mart). One
 note though, they don't sit at 12.80 like Hawker says they should, they
rest at
 more like 12.69-12.74. BUT!! I haven't cycled them, just charged them,
 with a little exercise I expect them to increase.

 Open circuit voltages of 8.5 - 11 were about a 65% success rate.

 Below 8.5 was about 10%.

 The batteries below 11v were put on the charge scheme that David
pointed
 out, up to 80 volts through a headlight, until the current started to
 rise, then the light was removed and the V reduced to 14.7 - 15
manually kept
 constant (I used the Mil Surplus charger, commonly referred to amongst
EV
 and ET'rs as a Fair Radio charger) until the current started to drop,
then
 it was placed on the Schumacher..

 Dead batteries here in NY are good for an $8.00 core charge. So if they
 were free and not usable, they'd still be worth 8 bux.

 I'd go get 'em.

Stay Charged!
Hump
I-5, Blossvale NY

Roden
> Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 10:55 PM
> To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
> Subject: Re: (ET) 12 Volt batteries!
>
> On 19 Mar 2007 at 16:28, Kleinbrahm, Robert wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know the shelf life of large AGM type batteries.
>
> They're like any lead battery - if they self-discharge and are left
> discharged, they'll become sulfated.  There's no cure for that.
>
> The good news is that most AGMs have appreciably lower self discharge
than
> flooded or gel batteries.  Six years is a prettly long time, but as a
wild
> guess, I'd say they have a 30-50% chance of retaining enough capacity
> make them useful for light duty use.
>
> They'll most likely be dead flat or nearly so.  To try to bring them
back,
> you'll need a moderately high voltage power supply.  Connect an
automotive
> taillight in series as a current limiter and crank up the voltage
until
> you
> see a little current flowing.  If you're lucky, after something
between
> several hours and several days, the current will start to increase.
Then