Re: (ET) Rubber tire chains, chains on front

Hi Chris,

I obtained a set of rubber chains for this winter, and was pleased with their performance. I had good luck with this last snow event (plowing once on Friday night and once Saturday seemed to work well; I think we may have had less sleet & ice than you this time...). The nice thing with rubber (vs. steel) is that when traction gets poor, or you're trying to push too much snow, slipping wheels don't scuff the driveway.

The chains were a bit difficult to install. I found it best to remove the wheels from the tractor and let the air out of the tires. I only have them for the rear tires. There are instances where steering is nonexistent - the rear wheels & the blade are controlling things & the fronts are just along for the ride. Needless to say, I'm still learning "plowing strategy".

Now my only problem is that the plow itself leaves some marks on the drive. Guess I need to review one of the earlier posts about a rubber strip for the wear blade.

Steve