Re: (ET) Gear pops

Belts;  YAH it's a problem.   That's why I used 'sectional link'
polybelts on my 16.  Needed only one adjustment afterwards and been there
perhaps 5 yrs.  And I use her a lot winter and summer.

Ordering regular belts;  Got this from a retired GE dealer that no 2
belts are the same and back then you could order matched pairs don't know
if you can now.  The slight differences in unmatched belts will need
constant adjustment and they may never wear to both the same tension.

Brake pads?  Who uses the brake? She stops better with the speed lever in
a working gear. I consider this a parking brake only (have a hilly lot).
AND  I drilled a hole in the brake lock, have a length of heavy
weedwacker string going to a staple just below the console top to release
it with.  Yes, get the pads now while they are available and cheaper but
there's no real reason to use the brake to stop a moving tractor.  Unless
it's a single belt tractor if the belt breaks.

Dave
Weymouth MA

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:12:52 -0500 "Matthew callahan"
<callahanrc hotmail com> writes:
> David,
>
> Get new belts onto your ET when you do the transaxle swap.  From
> what I
> hear, you won't be able to do it with the transaxle on since the
> pulley is
> too close to the frame to slip one through.
>
> My belts are slipping and burning more and more now when I'm trying
> to drive
> through a few inches of snow.  Time for me to pull those tired old
> belts off
> the I-5 and buy the new NAPA ones that Dave Stensland put on his.
> NAPA
> #NBH3VX335 which he says can be ordered online.  He also recommends
> adjusting the brakes while they're down.  Hell, go for the gold and
> order
> new brake pads from Harold if you're going to do this, god knows I
> need
> those new pads myself too.
>
> Matt
>

> >From: "David Roden" <etpost drmm net>
> >To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
> >Subject: (ET) Gear pops
> >Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 23:14:28 -0500
> >
> >I usually plow snow in D1 gear.  We have a fair bit of it right now
> (snow,
> >mean); nothing like NY but still enough that I actually (finally)
> had to
> >get
> >the tractor out.
> >
> >The white stuff is pretty heavy and wet, and takes a lot of effort
> to shove
> >around.  Every now and then, when I was pushing a lot of snow, the
> >transaxle
> >would pop out of D1.  (Good thing that's not a series motor, or I
> would
> >have
> >scattered commutator bars all over the driveway.)  I could hold it
> in gear
> >by hand, but what a nuisance.
> >
> >I guess this is one of those things that I should know, but don't.
> What
> >causes this?  How do I fix it?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >

> >David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> >
> >= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> >Note: mail sent to the "etpost" address will not reach me.  To send
> >me a private message, please use the address shown at the bottom
> >of this page : http://www.evdl.org/help/
> >All we learn from history is history repeats.
> >
> >                      -- Andrew Ratshin

> Want a degree but can't afford to quit? Top school degrees online -
> in as
> fast as 1 year

http://forms.nextag.com/goto.jsp?url=/serv/main/buyer/education.jsp?doSea
rch=n&tm=y&search=education_text_links_88_h288c&s=4079&p=5116