Re: (ET) Newton problems??

I have a big problem with the Newton leaving long rows of narrow, uncut
grass, even after I pass over them several times.  I think it's because
the blade doesn't spin fast enough for it to whip up the grass to cut it.
I got really tired of mowing the same row 3 or more times.  It took me 2
hours and 2 fully charged batteries to complete mowing my 1/3 acre lot.  I
also have sidewalks on 2 sides of my house, a driveway, and no less than
10 individual landscape beds that all need to be edged, so after 4-5 hours
I'd consider everything done.   Do that once every 2 weeks and I felt like
I had really lost my weekend.

I also tend to think it's the type of grass I have.  The grass isn't very
stiff or thick.  It's long and floppy for lack of any better terms.  I
just had new grass put in 2 seasons ago.

I use the special mulching blade on the Newton, similar to the ET.  I've
never used the bag.  I have WAY too much lawn and not enough bag for that
to be practical.  I haven't bagged grass in well over 10 years.

My E20 does worse than the Newton.  With the very wide, unarticulated
deck, there are whole rows missed that just can't be reached, plus the
hill and all of the mulch & planting beds that are cut on curves and
angles, making it very difficult to maneuver with the big E20...or any big
tractor for that matter.  That, and the fact that I can't get the E20 into
the backyard, because it doesn't fit through the fence gate.

*IF* I were to do my lawn myself again, the only mower I would even
consider would be a powerful ICE walk-behind, something that spins the
blade very fast.  I wouldn't even consider buying a riding mower, because
of the maneuverability problems.

What would make the E20 better would be if the deck were more flexible
& maneuverable.  Plus, some *really* sharp blades couldn't hurt.  I
had my blades sharpened 2 summers ago, but I didn't see much difference
(yes, they were mounted the right way, not upside down).

What would make the Newton better would be if the battery were bigger (I'm
a big boy, I can handle it!) to give it more voltage for more RPMs.  I
think they're trying to cater to the lowest common denominator and that is
to keep the weight extremely low for the most petite operator to manage
it.  But that's its biggest drawback, the fact that the RPMs just aren't
powerful enough for some kinds of grass.  It couldn't hurt to make the
deck a little wider either and make the blade match up with the wheel.

--
Jeremy