(ET) Alum+h2o replacement for acid in lead batteries

Saw this on another mail group and was wondering if it was true.  Figured there was someone in this group that could validate or dismiss it.

It’s interesting if it works.

From: vortex3wheeler yahoogroups com [mailto:vortex3wheeler yahoogroups com] On Behalf Of ssaaffffff
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 10:59 PM
To: vortex3wheeler yahoogroups com
Subject: [vortex3wheeler] Alum+h2o replacement for acid in lead batteries

I'm just passing this on it is not mine. Maybe someone has heard of
this or tried this. Steve

Here is a free gift to all of you and all the world. Read
carefully and follow up on all the links and you'll know as much as I
do. Then go fool around with the stuff and see what happens. As a
favor, please let me know what you discover.

As far as the lead acid batteries go, they can be a pain. But I am
researching the possibility of converting lead acid batteries to
alkaline batteries. I had a semi-genius friend once give me this
information but have yet to see it anywhere else in public domain.

My friend claimed that you could take a weak lead acid battery, one
that was still able to be charged but whose lifecycle was nearly
finished and convert it to an alkaline battery by dumping out the
battery fluid and replacing it with a mix of water and alum. Alum is
sold in the super market spice section for making homemade pickles,
it
makes them crisp. It is sooooooooo cheap. And soooooooo safe, you
can eat this stuff, okay? I don't recommend eating it because of the
aluminum connection to Alzhimers disease.

It is sodium aluminum silicate, chemically speaking. Also goes by
sodium aluminosilicate, aluminium sodium silicate; sodium
silicoaluminate; silicic acid, etc. For accuracy use the proper
catalog numbers. CAS # 1344-00-9, GB 12493-90(02.002); INS 554; GRAS
(GRAS means Generally Recognized As Safe) FDA 182.2727, (1994) If you
want more complete chemical info, everything possible to know about
this substance, you can download it here:

PDF: www.chem.unep.ch/irptc/sids/oecdsids/Silicates.pdf

I experimented with old batteries and had two success and two
failures. The successes were total successes and the failures total
failures. I used 4oz of alum to 1/2gal of water. You just replace
the fluid, recharge the battery and off you go. The successful
batteries seemed to be more powerful than the original, however I
have
no data. The best one was destroyed in a vehicle fire. It has been
over 10 years since I did those experiments and I am getting ready to
try again.

The advantages of the alum battery are many.

- the battery fluid is non corrosive
- the battery gas is not explosive
- the battery can be discharged more deeply
- the battery can be charged faster
- the battery will last longer
- there is not corrosion of the terminals
- it is extremely cheap
- more power in cold weather

I will be trying this experiment with some better measuring tools. I
want to go to a battery shop and try this on numerous old junk
batteries. My feeling is at this point, if the battery is too dead to
take any charge at all, it is to far gone to recover with this
method.

This process has never been commercialized that I know of except by
one company in China. From what I can read, I think that their
battery is pretty much the same as this homemade solution, but all
worked out scientifically. It is extremely simple. I'd love to
have some assistance from more knowledgeable folks on how and why it
works to be able to perfect it.

When you realize how cheap this is to do, you'll really be doing some
head scratching. You can have a renewed battery for the price of a
few bottles of alum.

Another related bit of information is this. There was a company set
up in China called Guineng who was mnfg and selling a new type of
battery. They indicated on their web site that it was a silicate salt
battery. I'm pretty convinced it was of this type I am experimenting
with. Well, they had a good site with lots of info. But there has
been no success on my part in contacting them in any way. I've tried
like the dickens to get ahold of this company but have never had an
email response, cannot get through by phone, just impossible so far.
They were reported to be selling their battery to E-Max scooters in
Germany. The bikes are being sold down under and the first reports on
performance are coming in. But here it is, take it and see what you
can do with it.

I am going to try to be working out the correct ratio of alum to
water
myself in the future for my new used battery bank.

Let me know what you find out.

Check this all out yourself at the following:

http://www.texaserider.com/escooters_emax.php

http://freeenergynews.com/Directory/Battery/index.html

http://www.zpenergy.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1677

http://www.guineng.com/index0.htm

http://www.emax-ltd.com/

http://www.technologyreview.com/Nanotech/16278/

http://jcwinnie.biz/wordpress/?p=1563

http://www.technologyreview.com/Nanotech/16278/page2/

This one is about the FireFly battery technology

http://www.subcpower.com/

http://www.subcpower.com/batcompare_chart.html

This is the best comparison chart to see it all at a glance

http://www.texaserider.com/escooters_emax.php

The proven, tough and rugged New e-Max with its 8 x 12V/20A Silicon
battery system is unique in e-scooters. Silicone Battery Comparison.
No more old style lead acid batteries to bog down performance and
create havoc in the environment with its destructive pollutants
during
production, use and disposal. The new GUINENG Silicone power
batteries
in the e-Max break away from the old and embrace a breakthrough in an
enviro-friendly tough and rugged package. An extremely long-life
energy supply specifically designed for the e-Max, the new Silicone
system offers a never-before seen performance standard... shelf life
and power! You can store the batteries, unused for up to 1½ years
with
voltage going down less than 1 volt! No memory loss! Constantly
worrying about losing battery memory and battery damage is no longer
wishful thinking! And power!

Jianmen Yu Yang Special Storage Battery Co.
Submitted by David Herron on August 4, 2006 - 3:20pm. Silicon Battery
This is a Chinese company who has developed a Silicon based battery
chemistry that shows great promise.
Completely breaking away from the technological limit of lead-acid
batteries,GUINENG silicone power batteries embrace a
breakthrough,where silicate salt is used as electrolyte. GUINENG
batteries have enormous and durable power and are pollution free.
GUINENG has a universally recognized edge over commonly used lead-
acid
batteries nowadays in the world, due to its high copacity, high
current output, rapid recharge time, low temperature performance,
long
life span, and environment-friendliness.
Features include:
• Storage copacity as high as 1.75 times of international standards
• Recharge acceptance capacity as high as 2.68 times of international
standards
• High current recharge. (0.8C---1.0C)
• High current discharge. The battery will not be damaged when
discharging within 8 seconds at the temperature of 30°C. Deep
discharge is allowed.
• Low self-discharge.After fully charged, the battery can be used
within one year at a normal temperature.
• No memory effect for charging or discharging
• Functions normally between –50°C--+70°C
• Sealed with a release valve. Maintenance free.
• No acid mist emission when charging or discharging. No pollution
from the electrolyte.
• Long life span. Under normal circumstances, the cycling life is as
long as 10 years for the GYM Series.
• Over 400 times of recharging.
• Functions normally under 6000 meters of the deep sea

I am, Katman. Sui juris, ARR
International Freedom Foundation
http://www.iff-ifoundfreedom.com

__._,_.___