Re: (ET) Battery Question

Trojan Battery recommends the following end voltages for a 36 volt system:

daily charge: 44.4 volts
equalization: 46.5
constant float: 39.6

(add 0.5 volts for every 10 degrees below 80 deg F and subtract 0.5 volts for every 10 degrees above 80 deg F)

The Landis scheme is a combination of daily and float; I'm not sure where the right turn on number is.

Raymon Ellis wrote:
Ralph, sorry to hear about your battery problem. I had a couple of dead cell on my T-105s in the last few days. Both dead cells were in good charge under a Landis controller a few days before kicking the bucket. The readings on a test in my yard were sent to the Digest as requested by Harry Landis. If you wish to see it go to: The Landis Controller Solution on 8/30/2006. I followed the first report with a comment to David C. Robie which read - You might appreciate the readings this morning after the first 24 hours under Landis Control. As I watched in amazement, the controller turned on the charger at the set point of exactly 38.6 volts. At the programmed OFF time the charger was up to 42.5 volts output and the charging current down to 3.81 amps. The then quiet batteries read: 41.1 volts (6.50, 6.51, 6.51, 6.51, 6.51, and 6.51). The first battery read 6.51 volts for a moment but slipped back to 6.50 volts for the reading. How perfect can one expect Trojans to be that were purchased April 4, 2000? The T-105s failed at the next cool spell. The recommendation of the Battery Barn was to replace with a new set of Crown 6 volt CR-225s. The voltages of the CR-225s are scattered. The Landis shut off at 45.1 volts on the 3rd day with the batteries reading several hours latter 6.56v, 6.51v, 6.56v, 6.47v, 6.46v, & 6.56V = 39.0V. My charger reached the top voltage of 45.6 volts when on a timer after 12 hours. Harold Zimmerman says my charger is OK. Now my burning question to all is, are my batteries OK on the Landis or should I go back to a timer? Maybe the 38.6v set point is too high? What set point are you using on your Landis? Let me know what you think about this potential problem.

--
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak's