To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: (ET) GE-20 Transmission Oil Specs

On 1 Dec 2006 at 7:04, Klein Robert W NPRI wrote:

I added 1 QT of kerosene to the trannie and put it into LL gear.
Placed a brick on the accellerator and let it wash around.

I'm no expert, but my first inclination is to disagree with this
recommendation.  Kerosene doesn't supply much lubrication.  It's true that
old-timers used to do this for automotive engine oil changes - but from what
I've read, all it really did was add wear to the bearings.

Besides, I guess I don't understand what it is that you're "washing around."
An auto engine crankcase gets some products of combustion from blowby, so
it does build up sludge, but what is there to gunk up a trans?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

We are a warlike people, and we love war.

          -- Michael Ledeen, American Enterprise Institute