  _____

From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu
[mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu] On Behalf Of Mike Wallace
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 9:07 AM
To: ThompsonG DFO-MPO GC CA; elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Electric Tractor Conversion Update

Geof and all,

Speaking of converting from ICE to electric, I could use some advice and/or
tips on doing something similar myself.  Ever since I met Shawn Lawless
last
year at the Louisville Lawn Expo and saw his ZTR, I've wanted to try
something similar.

I recently bought an older (late 80's maybe) Model 411 Grasshopper with
intentions of converting it.  It currently uses an 11 hp Briggs (horizontal
shaft) driving two Eaton hydro units that then drive the wheels through
13:1
double chain reduction systems.

I'm thinking about using two E15 drive motors and two Alltarx units to
drive
them.  Without a lot of major changes, I think I can position the two drive
motors parallel to each other with one pointing east and the other pointing
west.  I'll mount the smallest possible #40 sprockets to the output of each
motor to drive the first 4:1 reduction.

One possible problem I'm wondering about is that one motor will be turning
it's normal "optimum" direction and the other will be essentially running
in
reverse while the mower is going forward.  And visa versa for when backing
up.

Do I need to consider modifying the brush position/location or even
possibly
the field winding connections such that when going the predominate forward
direction, both motors are in "optimum" direction mode?

With the Briggs engine gone, (this is a front mounted deck Grasshopper with
the single tail caster wheel) I figure there ought to be plenty of room to
finally do something with those 60+ Saft BB-600 NiCads I've had for about a
year now.

I figure I'll replace the current shaft driven 36" deck with a 42" ET deck
and that swap shouldn't be a big deal.

Any of you guys got any suggestions or words of wisdom for me?

Mike in KY