(ET) E10 motor problems

Just an update on the E10 I'm working on for Albert Nunez,

This is the tractor that has the bad motor, the charger had been bypassed with an Ez-Go golf cart charger, the batteries are flat and the rear tire keeps going flat. Several people on the list helped out with some ideas so I'd like to thank everyone for their help.

I did pull the motor, took it apart and sent it out to Jim Husted, hoping he could rebuild it. Jim said the field winding was fried and it would cost about $250 to $300 to rewind the armature. So I opted to get a rebuilt motor from Harold.

While the new motor was on its way I pulled out the charger. At some point during this tractor's life someone had done away with the timer, installed a switch in it's place and rigged up an EZ-go golf cart electronic charger. The original diodes were disconnected and replaced by a different type of diode from what it looks like.

Albert had mentioned the charger wasn't working so I decided to take the whole thing out while the motor was out. Apparently there was a small fire at the connector that goes to the primary transformer. Two of the wire were charred and the connector was melted.

But the old charger itself looked good. I checked the service manual wiring diagrams, traced and labeled all the wires and roughly rewired it back together again, skipping the timer portion and bypassing the burnt wiring harness with some scrap wiring. I plugged it in and the old charger was humming along great. I got a reading of 41 volts dc out which was good news. So I roughly rigged up the new batteries to the charger and plugged it in it was charging great getting a reading of about 43 volts.

So what I plan to do is clean up the charger, reconstruct the wiring harness with new connectors and wiring and get a new timer from Harold and get it going to its original condition.

I still need to install the rebuilt motor. But since the charger and motor are out of the tractor I'm going to clean everything up before putting it back together.

I think there is still some hope left. Albert has been sending money as I need it to get it going again. So hopefully by next weekend I can try it out. There is still the issue with the slow leak in the rear tire.

My E-8 needs work as well. The brake rod broke so I'm going to make a new one. And I bought a fresh set of batteries for it when I bought the new ones for the E-10 so I'm going to to try to get that going again this weekend.

Thanks for the help

Chip Gribben