I like them because the acceleration is alot better off the line, but the range is less.

They charge up to about 10.25 and the finish charge is about 9.25 to 9.4. So you are looking at about 56 volts or more with a complete charge. You may want to make sure the electronics will handle 56 or more volts.

Chip Gribben

On Nov 4, 2006, at 12:00 PM, elec-trak-request cosmos phy tufts edu wrote:

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 20:37:19 -0500
From: David C Robie <mycroftxx1 juno com>
Subject: Re: (ET) 48v electrac
To: callahanrc hotmail com
Cc: elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu

But I still wouldn't want to give an overvoltage, thus overcurrent, to a
30+ yr old machine full of relays.  Am aware of 8V, some use them in
fullsize EV conversions where pack space is limited. With those, miles per charge (assuming lead acid) is in proportion to battery weight. It's
a tradeoff.
I can not see the need of more HP in a GE/WH, especially with the
bigtime hills on my property proving that what power they got is
sufficient.  Even a GE12 PM motor is sufficient here, if you shift the
tranny down to climb.  a 16 with a field motor don't need that tranny
shift, just get into a field speed.
Another reason besides old parts;
More E will naturally force more RPM. That would force the flyball speed governor inside the motor to limit the rpm with light loading, therefore
working all the time and defeating the 'more power with more voltage'
thought.  That thing is not particularly a long lived sturdy part and
when these flyball governors cease function,  balls usually fly off em
and get caught inside the motor locking it up.  Have done 2 of em.
Luckily with both, there was no commutator or winding damage.  On one,
there was a lot of magnet chipping but she worked all right when cleaned
up.
The fix is to remove the blasted thing completely, all parts of it, and short it's wires. Only thing you lose is the power pulse switch function
(which was never much good anyway) and RPM limiting in case the belt
breaks.

Dave
Weymouth MA

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 09:20:06 -0500 "Matthew callahan"