To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) 48v electrac
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 09:40:20 -0500

Matthew callahan Wrote
>Not necessarily, you could get trojan T-890's or something like those.
They
>are 8 volt batteries with four cells instead of three, but the same size
as
>a T-105 6V battery.  So you wouldnt have to pack a extra two batteries,
and
>have more HP, but range should be about the same in terms of lead weight.
>
>The Electric Ox is a 48V tractor, and i assume they use the 8V batteries.
>Some golf carts are now using the T-890's at 48 volts instead of 36, but
>retain the same battery tray design and set-up.

The OX does use 8V batteries.

David's power objections though are valid.  You'll be dropping 1.8x the
power loss in the relay coils.  That may not take much off of the battery
life but it'll kill the relays.

Other components will also show problems, it's possible some will just fail
immediately.

Robert