Re: (ET) Dan's 2/10A charger

This writer doesn't have to even think of  battery chargers.  Using 3
secondhand surplus 12V 50W solar panels in series. They are most always
connected when the machines (2 bigrframes)  ain't working. Net peak sun
input to the batts (here in New England)  is 2 1/2 A ,  a bit less in
winter.  These even give a trickle chg on rainy days.  No controller
necessary as the duty cycle of the tractors closely matches the recovery
time of the batts they are always full for the next mow or whatever.  In
winter when snowblowing (2 big driveways and sidewalk in between and
sometimes a neighbor) I do a plug-in 'refresh' charge when the rotor
speed gets lazy (and I get  a refresh myself).  Seein as I plow snow a
bit too, one or the other tractors (with a plow) is always on the panels.
 Could connect em both simultaneous using a couple diodes to isolate em
but never needed to.  That would be 'proportioning' , the lowest tractor
drawing the most current.
     You can tell chronic overcharge by looking at water useage.  These
do not use a lot of water.  Nor do they ever (except with big storm
snowblowing) get lazy.  So this type of charge must be 'kindly'.   When
both of em are up in winter (no snow for a good while) I plug the panels
into a heating element indoors.  Not a lot of BTU's but at least they
cost nothing.  Still experimenting with the nichrome to get the panels
into the middle region of their output curves.  (nichrome is presently
mainly different 120V appliances etc in series.  Middle of curve is about
40V across the three.  (Was using it to heat domestic hor water but was
only in winter and not much. Presently building a 64 sq ' antifreeze type
solar shop heater which will also do DHW all year)

So - if anyone is fortunate enough to find 3 40-50W 12V panels surplus,
even real old ones, and follows a normal (bout 10 day average, Spring
might be a week)  mowing cycle on bout a 3/4 acre lawn with a lot of
hills and backups, they can copycat this rig that needs no electronic or
other control and do the most efficient use of photovoltaic that exists -
that of replacing gasoline with solar electricity.  Which is what the
combintion of an Etrac and PV panels does here.   The panels have already
paid back 100% and are making a tax clear profit.  New ones (at bout $400
each) would take an awful long time to do that, and might never.  (Go
ahead, somebody calculate the cost of replacing wall socket juice at
16c/kwh with solar.  Pure engineering thought says I'm not getting much
panel payback at all).  But I am.  Haven't had to buy no more tractor gas
since bout '00 and it took bout 5 gallons of gas to mow this place.  And
a lot of 'gas tractor diddling' besides.

If you are an EAA member, look up Current EVents for Jan 2004. It's in
there.  With other New England 'solar' Etracks.  If you want a read of
the article, can attach scans (3 pages) Just write for it, will email.

Dave
Weymouth MA