Re: (ET) Dan's 2/10A charger

There is seldom much discussion here of what I think is the best answer to
ET charger problems : complete replacement with a more modern, smarter
charger, one that will treat the batteries more kindly.

The cheap solution is a used golf car charger.  They're too big to live on
board
the ET, though.

There are plenty of smaller 36v chargers around these days.  A couple of
examples follow :

1. I ran across these a while back and bookmarked the site.
Japlar/Schauer
make (or perhaps import, who knows) a 36 volt, 20 amp 3-stage (IUIo)
switchmode charger, quite small and light, priced around $300 with cables.

Voltage at 2.6vpc is a bit high, but they say you can order them set to
whatever voltage you want.  It's made by Japlar/Schauer.  Schauer used to
be a reputable brand - but who knows today, with all the cheapening going
on.

http://www.battery-chargers.com./catalog/25.pdf

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/brands/japlar-
schauer/JAC3620M.html

2. Another possibility is the Interacter ICS-36 charger, with similar
specs,
except the Schauer is a universal input, and the Interacter is 120v only
or
240v only (by special order).  Again, I have no idea as to quality or
durability.

Other ideas welcome.