Re: (ET) Historic (or prototype) deck styles?

FYI regarding decks;

Early decks had a lot of cracking problems, the major one being sheet
metal cracking due to motor vibration.   The first fix was adding some
angle stiffeners to the top which helped.  Then the new decks were
stamped differently, with sort of a 'flower petal' design around the
motors.  This design stopped that vibration caused cracking.  However,
there are other places that may crack for a different cause, primarily
the metal around the spring pushbar mts in a situation where there is a
lot of back and forth mowing or if the pushbar  sliding rods freeze in
their sockets (become a solid rod due to rust). My 16 got that type of
crack (it is a newer flower petal deck) and it was a quick;y welded item.
 But some day will take both of em off and sandwich bout a 5x5 (whatever
will fit and look nice) bolted down steel reinforcement under those
mounts to spread the strain out to a wider area.

YAH short motors are for belly decks.  They make sense for front decks
too as the tall ones get the caps knocked off mowing under bushes.

Dave
Weymouth MA