(ET) Got the wheel off, no diff

Well, tonight I decided it was time to replace the steering shaft.

Tried using a pipe wrench+twist, wound up galling the shaft. No luck.

Took the massive drill and started drilling out the shaft through the wheel. Went all the way down to the bottom of the wheel. Was able to bend the shaft, but not break the wheel free.

Time to get serious. Used my large wrecking bar+pipe wrench+locking pliers. Finally got it to turn and got wheel off. Put new axle in, still skips.

Something is really weird. The washers at the bottom are pressed right against the backing plate; what the heck else could be causing it to skip? Is the sector gear shot; should I replace that? Or is there another way to adjust that gear to get it to mesh closer?

Chris