Re: (ET) Electric Bikes Now Legal in Ontario

YAH.  Have had a conversion (a US ACEME)  kit on a nice old Schwinn
Sturmey Archer 3 speed for a good while.  Pannier baskets on her made her
a good grocery getter and range long enough so never had to pedal her
except to start or make hills. However the kit was a first generation
motorwheel with a strange 'one shot at a time' controller that went South
and can't find another one.  A friend had the same motorwheel, same
trouble, tried a conventional controller on it and after a short time,
fried the motorwheel (which uses a right angle drive DC brush motor).
BTW,  this wheel freewheeled you'd never know it was there while
pedaling.
     Have ridden a Mongoose Ebike for a couple weeks.  It's name is now
changed to the drive system supplier's name, Currie and is likely on the
Currie website by now.  It is not for bicycle people as it is EV
intensive rather than bike intensive, and I suspect the design as an
Ebike to be their attempt to sell a small cheap electric motorcycle that
can be ridden without registration or license in most all US states. Tis
a pretty little machine, well built, and was the hit of the Earth Day
show in Hull MA where it was exhibited.  The price is surprisingly low
for a state of the art motorwheel driven Ebike. (the one I rode was $700
US including assembly and sales tax from a local bike dealer)
    There's a couple in Hull MA who's *only* transportation is 2 Ebikes.
These are Think Brand, from Sweeden, and sold by Ford motors for a while.
 They have had no problems at all with these.  Both of them have bike
trailers and are on the original Gel battery packs which are over 3 yrs
old. Lot of miles on these 2 bikes.

Dave
Weymouth MA