Re: (ET) Powered cart

Interesting stuff! I have a front end loader on an E-15, and it can actually unweight the rear end so that backing uphill is a traction problem - even with chains. I have considered adding a brake drum to each hub, mounted using the wheel bolts. These drums would be "backwards" with the drum itself opening back away from the wheel, and using a simple external contracting strap brake - like some low end go karts use. Mechanical linkages and a couple of hand levers would be easy to construct. This would be a setup similar to that employed by most farm tractors, and would allow me to limit the slip of either wheel to transfer power to the non-spinning side, but use a standard differential.

Thanks for the suggestion about the limited slip differential - I never knew one was available.

At 02:46 PM 9/26/2006, you wrote:
Jeff,

You said, "Since it appears that a locking diff is not an option....",
But that is still an option, (IF) you can find an old John Deere 100 Series tractor that used a Peerless Model 2317 transaxle (your E15 has a Model 2318 in it). The 2317 was limited slip that was called DuoTrak. The 2317 will have reverse gears in it, but that's no problem. It should bolt right in place of the original Elec-Trak transaxle, or you should be able to swap out the required parts into your transaxle.

Then you said, "what about going with cutting brakes,...."
If I ever get around to it, I have a set of individual disc brakes off and old Cub Cadet that used one brake on each axle shaft. The Cub discs were part of the axle shaft itself, so I intended to machine the inside of the wheel flange to accept a homemade disc and then simply clamp, the same way IH did, the brake assemblies to the ends of the axle housings. I too intended to use two separate pedals, but both mounted on the left side and actuated with my heel.

Since this modification would go on a WH C-185 or an I5, I need my right foot to operate the throttle. Properly done, I figure I could do something like real farm tractors do with turning brakes and be able to lock the two pedals together so that both brakes could work together or separately. I'd still keep the original transaxle brake operated by the original pedal for normal braking. But if one wheel started to loose traction, I'd just apply a little pressure to that brake and sort of force the power over to the other wheel.

As for needing a "pusher" set-up, I'd say it would be way too much trouble. Just get you some good tire chains and the turning brakes, and haul that wood about any place you wanted to.

Mike in KY
----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:jefft softlanding com>Jeff Tickner
To: <mailto:elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 11:39 AM
Subject: (ET) Powered cart

One of my planned uses for my E15 (if I ever finish it) is to use it to haul cordwood out my woods and I'm wondering how the traction will be. My only experience is pulling a 4x8 trailer full of cordwood on a rutted, snowy dirt road and when the trailer got hung up the front of the tractor would lift, I should have had the snowblower on there as a counter weight. But what about if it was muddy?

Since it appears that a locking diff is not an option I had 2 ideas. I have several spare transaxles and a couple extra drive motors. the transaxles have the brakes still on them.

Since I'll have an Alltrax with a dash pot, what about going with cutting brakes, that is a brake assembly on each axle, with a pedal on each side. That would give you the steering effect and you could also brake a wheel that has lost traction?

The other idea is even more unlikely for me to ever do with my lack of time and mechanical skill, but... seems like it would solve both traction and the tractor nose coming up. What about a powered trailer? If I put a motor and transaxle under a trailer would I just fry my Alltrax if I tried to feed both motors from the one controller?

The pushers I've seen in the past are just for pushing
http://www.mrsharkey.com/pusher.htm
http://www.jstraubel.com/EVpusher/EVpusher2.htm
and don't seem to have an issue with a normal single point trailer ball hookup.

Jeff Tickner
Technical Support
800-545-9485, Ext 536
SoftLanding Systems