Re: (ET) Leaves and an E-12

Rod,

This is very similar to the solution I adopted. In my case, I do leaf pickup for my folks' yard (about 2 acres & 80 trees). I found a smaller version of this (4hp Sears walk-behind, about 20" swath) that had been abandoned at a mower repair place. Got it for $50, and couldn'e leave well-enough alone.

First, I stripped off the wheels & handle, and mounted the engine/blower on the tounge of a small utility trailer. Then, I got some 8" flexible tubing that was made for this purpose and connected the intake to the mower deck of my Sears ICE tractor (Sorry, I know this doesn't fit in, but I was strapped for time and already had the tractor). I built a doghouse on the trailer to hold the leaves, and routed the shredder output into the box.

This worked for awhile, but I found the engine was a bit underpowered. Wet leaves would clog it, and the occasional tree branch would get stuck in the impeller and kill the engine.

My next mod was the swap out the 4hp engine for a mil-surplus 2 cylinder engine I found on Ebay. This has become a beast. It will reduce the leaf volume by about 10-fold, and isn't slowed by wet leaves. I really don't like the noise & pollution, but I no longer dread leaf season.

-Phil

Rod Hower <rodhower ameritech net> wrote:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=LAWN&cat=Power+Lawn+Equipment&subcat=Chippers+%26+Shredders&pid=07177099000&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
This is a 6.5 Hp Craftsman 6.5 hp 4-in-1 Plus System
Sears item #07177099000 Mfr. model #24A-070H799
Best $600 I've spent on lawn equipment.
Saved me a considerable amount of time.
Rod