Re: (ET) Source for small Ni-cads and NiMHs?

Dave,

Thanks very much for your reply. Especially helpful was the advice on safety measures. I have never tinkered with Nicads before, and I now think I will try it. I have the meters, etc that I would need.

BTW, last Saturday, for the first time in my 50+ years of working around flooded lead acid batteries, I had one explode. The battery on my farm tractor blew up. I had just gotten off the tractor to clear some weeds from the cutter bar when it blew, and I thought somebody was shooting at me with a shotgun - until I saw the acid dripping all over the tractor onto the platform. If I had been on the seat I would have had it all over my lap.

It must have shorted internally and created a spark, and I can see the plates are all warped out of shape. It is a 6 volt positive ground system. I never used the battery, as it has been dead for 15 years at least. I hand crank it to start it, and the tractor runs from a magneto. I have now removed the battery and will leave it off. Kinda dumb of me not to do that before.

Erv Troyer
LaGrange, IN
In part, Dave wrote:

There seem to be 3 size variants.  however, voltage is the same.  Never
mix sizes in the same pack.  Also, replace any insulation you find on em
(cardboard tubes washers etc) or the thing can short with noise and fire
some later day unbekownst. Or imediate when you put it together and get a
+ and - together from even one cell  it's likely to feel hot, could burn
you.  If charged, big hot sparks so wear eye protection if you do this.