Re: (ET) e-14 heat from timer while charging

Dan to start, bypass the timer and charge the batteries, keep a check on the voltage at each battery every couple hours till the pack is back up to 38vdc...in the interm see if the timer will come apart..if it will, slowy open her up and check the contacts..I would think it would be a burnt contact an/or a bad connection at the spade termial..claen the termials and recrimp the wires or replace the spades on the wires..with the heating up it sounds like dirty contacts..on the AC plug check the blades, clean an make sure they fit in the wall outlet tight..watchit the round ground pin will normally be tight but the 2 blades may not be..I've had this on a couple of mine..I cut the cord off and replaced it..if you haven't I would check all the wire termials on the whole charger.. the cleaner is better, good luck and hope this helps

Jerry NWO
----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Childress" <daniel csuol com>
To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:05 PM
Subject: (ET) e-14 heat from timer while charging

 Have pursued my problem a little farther.  Checked out my batteries
with a hydrometer and found that all were discharged.  "fuel gauge"
shows full charge.  I disconnected the timer from the tractor.
Leaving it connected to the  charger.  Plugged it in and turned it
past start to letter c.  Checked the amperage going into and out of
the timer.  18.3 amps.  The  power wire "black" comes out of the
power cord and into  the timer.  From the timer it goes down into the
charger.  The  connection at the timer seems to have  a  short.  Upon
moving the  wires that attach to the  timer the  hum of the  charger
quits.  Slight movement of the wires "at the wire spade connections
on the timer" it  seems to turn back on.  Humming again.  The  timer
is heating up, black wires are hot.  the insulation around the
connection "spade" on  the timer is charred.  Also the ac plug that
you plug in the charger to the  house current is charred.  Help
please.
Dan Childress