Re: (ET) It moves!

--- David Roden <etpost drmm net> wrote:

> On 21 Aug 2006 at 18:13, Kelly Williams wrote:
>
> > I plugged the charger into a Powerstat
> > so I could bring the voltage up slowly ...
>
> That poor charger.  You tortured it!  A
> ferroresonant charger tries its
> utmost to maintain a stable output voltage
> regardless of the input voltage.

Ouch...  Maybe that's why the capacitor looks to have
failed.

> Remember, the charger isn't intended to run the
> tractor.

I'm not planning to do that any more - just wanted to
get as far as I could, and convinced enough that it
would be the right choice to invest in the batteries.

> If you don't yet
> want to buy new batteries, better you should get a
> set of used golf car
> batteries from a golf course or industrial vehicle
> shop.

I checked a number of golf courses nearby - they're
using gas-powered carts; what's up with that?  :-)
But I didn't think of an industrial place - there's a
big forklift servicing outfit near here, maybe they
work with smaller equipment that uses golf car
batteries.

Kelly Williams
Mount Joy, PA