To: <jerry38 alltel net>
Cc: <rjkanary nauticom net>; <mycroftxx1 juno com>; <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 7:27 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) Update

Recalling your last post this is a spark producing, not just 'read on a
meter currentless leakage?   If so;   not normal to any GE/WH I have
worked on.  But then again haven't worked on all models.  Would suspect
design philosophy to follow all other EV practice that all voltage higher
than 12 (lights etc) be isolated from the chassis.

A place liable to insulation 'scrapeage' is the cable carring wires to
the right front of the rear batt compartment.  A loose belt will hit it
and scrape insulation off that cable.
Also - any place where any wire or cable goes through a hole. some had
grommets but even though it looks OK there is eaten away  inside exposing
cable scraping bare metal.  Had that problem on my fullsize 120V PEV.
Grommet went away (though looked good) on the front- rear interconnect
and made my chassis hot to about 3/4 batt voltage. Evrything worked OK
except the voltmeter erratic..  And a tickle when I touched a battery
terminal.  That 120 has no chassis connection, same as an Etrak.  Found
that one easy enough as it was partial voltage available on only one
cable.  But yours is full voltage.

A clue to location can be given by opening up the main switch seeing if
it's still there.  Then see if it's there with main switch closed, key on
and key off. Brakeo n brake off, sea switch satisfied then off. (all
others should be 'on' when testing this way).  BE SURE
that the tranny is in neutral or better yet, neutral with a rear wheel
jacked up when you do this.

BE CAREFUL wiggling through the chassis cables etc to see what happens.
A meter can lie here with a high resistance leak.  If the meter reacts
the slightest bit when you wiggle cables suspect the point that you
wiggled or moved away from the chassis and insulate it, try again to
confirm.  I would use an analog meter with good test clips not probes on
this cause a pointer is a lot more visible to quick intermittency than a
digital reading, and an analog meter draws a little current (20,000 ohms
per volt).  If you got a 50V scale, use it.

If there's a meter reading and no spark, acid fume residue on the battery
will carbonize airborne crap and make a tiny sparkless but readable leak.
Rinse the batteries carefully with plenty of water making sure no hose
water gets into em.  Water will exit through the compartment drain(and
rust) holes, no need to remove batts.  Do not 'neutralize' with baking
soda as there is a good chance some will get in the cells no matter how
careful you are. Also, Alkaline water is as bad as acid water, if not
worse to make more rust.  Don't retest it for a week until the
comparments are thoroughly dry.

Don't neglect the battery charger it's a tractor part too.  To isolate it
for testing disconnect it both sides of it's output.

There's another way to find a chassis leak but I won't post it as it can
be quite damaging to the tractor when done by anyone not experienced in
big Emotor,  gen, welder etc repairs.

Dave
Weymouth MA

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 13:55:03 -0400 "Jerry Rhodes" <jerry38 alltel net>