(ET) hot motor

Lets see if this one bounces !!

I just pulled one of the mower motors from the JD, it was running "weak" andgot hot enough to burn off one of the motor terminal wires at the chassis connector [;-[ It seems to spin over ok by hand, I put in a new lower bearing this spring (the old one was getting noisy) and hope I got it together right - it has been running weak since then but sees to by slowly dying. Any thoughts as to what I could look for or what i may have screwed up, it had been ok before the teardown.

wombat