Re: (ET) new relay in - now no reverse

To answer my own question about jumpering pins 8 and 9 on card 1 together, and what card 1 actually DOES as far as the reverse relay control - from the card, it looks like it's a time delay circuit, so that if you flip from forward to reverse (or vice versa) too quickly, while the motor is still spinning one way, you don't suddenly reverse the field to point in the opposite direction. Is that correct? So, the reason I shouldn't just jumper 8 and 9 together is so I don't go and reverse the field too quick, which would probably give me a big induced current in the field winding, presumably frying a connection somewhere - probably on the relay. Seems like I could do that as a temporary fix (if I need to wait for some part to arrive so I can fix card 1), just making sure I give plenty of time between going from forward and reverse, to avoid frying relays left and right. I'll check though to see if I can determine what part on card 1 fried, to see if I can get it working without jumpering across those terminals (we have gobs of resistors and capacitors at work, so if that's all it is, I can "borrow" a 3 cent resistor or cap to fix it).

Mike

--

Michael S. Briggs
UNH Physics Department