Re: (ET) Electrak Show??

Interesting points. However I think events like this have an importance. The Power of DC event certainly saves no fuel, but it has value from a publicity standpoint. Electric vehicles, if anything, get negative publicity. This event helps to dispel some of the EV myths and also displays some of the realities. I would love to have an electric car someday and this event has given me a chance to see several commercial and home-built cars and motorcycles and meet some interesting people, including several people on this list.

On the pure ET side, this could be a good opportunity for a great ET swap meet. If everybody brought their 'extras' we could probably get at least several ETs back in service and get accessories to those that can use them.

- SteveS

David C Robie wrote:
I, for one,  would not attend.  The issue of trailering an etrak to an
individual show for them in the light of current gasoline prices scares
me.  Even the thought of 'no trailer,  no car, airfare and hotel' is
scary. We save gasoline, therefore cut our personal output of global
warming gases down a good bit with these tractors (I have figured my own
fuel saving at approx $45 per grassgrowingseason - month  notwithstanding
snowplowing issues which means more saving of  money, depleting
petrofuel, and harmful petroemission output.
      The GWG output (dependent on fuel consumption) of a single trip to
a show trip by any means, air or vehicle would negate any planetwide
advantages of the use of both of my 'live' tractors over any period of
time within my remaining statistical lifespan as well as the financial
advantages.   Geof and Jerry,  hate to rain on your parade but unless the
driving for a significant number of Etrac owners is insignificant and
other expenses are close to nil,  this would not be good for Etractordom
or the planet.  (What *is* good is media publicity for EV's within your
own area.)   Anyone want to get fwd'd a sample of that,  just email me
separately (not on this board)  for it.

My suggestion is to;  Every time we see an Etrak at random (as Ken Olum
just did)  from this point on,  get that owner to join in on this board
and check it regularly.  Also, to put their town and state down in their
signature like I do. After a good period has elapsed, we will know the areas where Etrax are concentrated. At that point, we
could put date and location of  a 'suitable' antique engine and tractor
show near (within?) these concentrations,and have each area's separate
'little show within a bigger show' there.  As to dates and times of these
shows,  Stemgas publications has the master list book of where they are
countrywide and in Canada. (I have the master list of this type show now
for New England, anyone need a forward?)
       Another 'exhibiting place'  would be the electric vehicle- hybrid
shows.  My 16 has been trailered to EV etc shows 4 times, all close by
within an hour.  One was an 'Earthday' show 15 minutes away.

Jerry;  could your suggestion be combined as an 'EV and hybrid' show?  It
would need (and likely get for free these days) a lot of local publicity
if you let the local envirogroups and EAA people know about.  I believe
EAA has a chapter in Ohio.
     See my other email about an 'arranged'  meeting of etracs at a local
show.  We were both going there anyway as we are both antique machinery
buffs already with show displays of other items.  So there were no
negative enviro or financial costs for that Etrak 'gathering'. (Ken, if
we knew you lived so close you woulda got invited too) (The other etrak
who came was Joe Kessler from Stoughton MA and he got a few of em but as
far as I know, no Eaddy.)

Excellent to have discourse about this public display etc on the board. Now is the time that plug in electric vehicles of all types need
publicity - and continuing until our solution to fuel and atmosperic
problems gets known as viable everywhere.  Thanks Geoff and Jerry.

Dave
Weymouth MA

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 12:40:32 -0400 "Jerry Rhodes" <jerry38 alltel net>