Re: (ET) ok, not the fusible link

ANSWERS WITHIN

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:09:10 -0400 (EDT) Michael S Briggs
<msbriggs alberti unh edu> writes:

> Dave,
>       What do you mean by an open? An open circuit (which to me
> means no
> current would flow,
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Righto !  no current flow.  Another way of stating it, across an open
circuit in any complete circuit which includes a power supply, you will
find full power supply voltage.
   Across a 'patially open' circuit  (a high resistance) you will find
full power supply voltage
Across a closed circuit (such as closed relay contacts) you will find no
voltage.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
so you'd have no field, so the motor shouldn't
> turn at
> all).
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
It will but erratically, lo power, and in a random direction.  The field
still will have it's tiny residual magnetism and some induced too even
though no 'strong' electromagnetism.  Not enough for the poor thing to
even determine which way to go.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The belt doesn't seem to be doing diddly when I try to go
> forward.
XXXXXXXXX
Not even a slight movement?  A slight one, 1/32"  would be enough to
prove 'open field'
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> It definitely seems like I'm getting armature current but no field
> current
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Why not try 'downstairs' under the tractor first - at the motor's field
terminals? Sometime this is a plug and spcket sometimes it's a pair of
female terms on the motor,  males on the wires, and sometimes it's small
bolt on terms.  They used all kinds seemingly willy nilly.
With the field actuated the voltage there should be at or real near
battery voltage
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

> in forward. Hm, I suppose if the relay fails such that all the pins
> are
> connected, the current would just bypass the field coil entirely....
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
If it did that you would have heard a powerful explosion with perhaps an
issue of blood.

Only modes of relay failure;
*   open coil
*   top contact not making at rest
*   bottom contact not making when actuated
*   one of the contacts fused together, or not breaking due to being
bent.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

> need to get the pinouts of the relay figured out (see the email I
> just
> sent the list - the diagram in the service manual shows 6 pins on
> the
> relay, but it has 8).
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
8 pins are normal.  2 coil, and 2 DPDT (3 ea) switches.  The diagram does
not show unused pins. It's a waste of ink.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dave
Weymouth MA