Re: (ET) Electric scooter?

Hi Jim
Answering your query

I have a TANK EM002.  48V 750W.   Likely not available except in CA and
wasn't on their website last time I checked (google it).  It's an ultra
deluxe version of the Panterra Fusion or Freedom which most Pep Boys auto
stores carry at (believe it or not) $399 when on sale.  Pep boys in MA
seems to be getting out of the Escooter business, concentrating on pocket
rockets.   DOT approved and registerable in any state.
750W will handle the big hills we have here.  500 just makes em.
Anything lower won't.
Got bout 800 miles on her with no maint except checking tire pressure.
Ebikes,  see below.

Ebikes don't need registration they are bicycles with helper motors no
matter how they are built.   Here in Boston area there are 2 places where
we can get em and 3 different brands.

The Mongoose Ebike is a nice little ride.   It's only 250W but with
pedalling it made my local 'Escoot test hill'  with a lot less pedal
effort than even a decent 10 speed.  On 'power only' she will do 17 on
the flat,  the legal limit  for powered bikes in MA  but being used to a
big scooter seemed to me to be awfully light.  A fun ride though.   These
only have one 'pedal' speed so are 'electric'  more than 'bike'
intensive.  Range unknown but she got here from Anderson's bout 12 miles
away with hills under power with hardly any pedalling or any signs of
battery fade.
 At Andersen's bike shop in Quincy MA they are $700 assembled, special
order only.  Wasn't on the Mongoose site, think she's a new product on
trial run.  I had one at the local Earth Day show (Hull MA - home of the
East Coast's first municipal sized wind turbine
http://www.hullwind.com )  and she was the hit of the show, Evehiclewise
as she is so good looking a machine.  People salivated.

The above mentoned scoots are all Chinese.  At present, got a brand new
Panterra 'Retro'  in my shop that was badly spilled at 12 miles on the
clock, walked here for 4. A beautiful thing, 750 watt, looks like a black
and chrome hotrod 50's  Vespa. Replacing a lot of parts on her.  Shows us
all that scooters (and bikes) are not for everybody, only for those with
brains and balance.  (am not a dealer, only the local 'electrowhiz' )

There are two other Ebikes available locally  I have't ridden - and don't
know the prices for without contacting the dealer.  They may not be on
his site yet as are brand new products for him. Boston dealer  Matthew
Huntington at http://www.emergingvehicles.com  could possibly refer you
to the mfgr for name of a dealer near you.  Tell him the 2 Ebikes that he
had at the Ipswitch MA  I Care EVent

The best overall info on several types of  Escooters - Ebikes (not specs
just drivers reports) is in the Fuel Savers Guide.  This is a 40 pg
Ebook, a public domain download from
http://www.neeaa.org    No advertising hogwash in it, just facts.

Just got an ad from Kmart and they got the Currie built Schwinn (a 500W
foldup with a seat) for $169.  Been on em, a great little ride but they
are not DOT approved, can't be registered (and the seat is uncomfortable,
needs a moped seat).  Back when some of us NEEAs were testing escoots as
they first appeared, this was a bit over $400 and we found it the best of
all available folding types then.  Likely still is. Now in most places
foldups are banned from the public roads but are still good for
campgrounds state forests, pit areas of racetracks  auto shows flea
markets etc.

Notice that there are no 'big names' here.  Reason;  Hi prices for a big
name.  A big name Escoot I saw recently went for about 3 grand.  Looking
at her, I wondered how anyone in their right mind could justify that as a
gas money saving item - and as she was complex and hi tech, wondered what
the dealer labor rate was and what, of those 'oh so many' hi tech parts
would bust first.  (my experience has been that the owner, not
understanding battery care, by leaving em in a discharged state too long
- even overnite sometimes - ruins the batts).  I know of one Tank
identical to mine thus treated, left the main switch on all winter).
   One of the scooters that Matthew carried (he don't any more) had a
huge design fault,  the battery charger integrated into the power
controller package, all on a big heat sink.  You know what happens to
battery chargers and when that happens, that scoot is fully out of
businss. Looks like a factory repair or exchange.  External battery
chargers come quickly by mail and range from $40 to $70, just plug em in.

Tony up in Worcester used to sell Tank - where I got mine - but is out of
business as a truck ran into his shop and burned it up. Hell be
recovering from that but I doubt there will be any new scoots coming out
of there any more.  No place to put em.

This oughta get you started on your quest.  Get back to me as to your
findings, what good and what's junk, prices, dealer names etc.  Sorta
collecting that info.  That's what Secretaries are for.

Regards
Dave