Re: (ET) charger voltage

Why not just open the cell caps with the charger running to see if all
the cells are gassing.  Use a flashlight to look inside underwater.  If
they are gassing they are full charged.  If they are not they are not.
Gas only comes when the plates can't accept any more chemical changes, so
the electrictity not used in the plates does electrolysis of water
instead.  (very simple WW1 era trade school explanation of  full battery
determination which needs no accurate metering.  I believe it came from
Audel's when I was in Jr hi school using a Buick big spkr pushpull audio
output AM radio and a tungar 6V battery charger as an extremely good
sounding early hi fi made from trash.  The big bopper etc sounded real
good on it.  So did such as Stravinsky's firebird and Rite of Spring and
that Russian one, 'age of gold')

Mike;  You missed a fantastic electric and hybrid vehicle show in Ipswich
MA yesterday run by 'I care', the local enviro org.   As one display, the
best condition GE I've ever seen, a 12M.  I ran the EAA exhibit.

Dave
Weymouth MA

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:21:52 -0400 (EDT) Michael S Briggs
<msbriggs alberti unh edu> writes:

> Harry,
>       What I've been wondering is if the 38V set point (yes, I
> know it's
> not a cutoff point) will allow "full" charging, based on my not
> knowing
> exactly what the voltage of a fully charged pack is (which is what I
> was
> initially trying to find out). If a pack is almost, but not quite
> fully
> charged, does that mean that the voltage will drop below 38V? Or,
> should
> a fully charged pack be able to maintain something higher, like
> 38.2V? (in
> which case I might want to bump up the set point voltage some)
>       I'm quite happy with the design of your charger, just
> trying to
> learn more about what voltage a fully charged pack should maintain,
> and if
> I should therefore adjust the set point a little.
>
> Mike
>
> --

> Michael S. Briggs
> UNH Physics Department
> (603) 862-2828
>
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, harry landis wrote:
>
> > I guess there's nothing like a battery charging question to get
> the list
> > active. My charger controller (it's a charger controller, not a
> charger)
> > does exactly what the stock timer does, except it measures battery
> resting
> > voltage, not time. The timer turns the stock charger on and keeps
> it on for
> > a set time, then turns it off. My controller turns on the same
> stock charger
> > for a set time (about 4.5 minutes) and then turns it off. During
> the on
> > time, the voltage is not controlled or measured by my controller.
> So the
> > voltage will rise to 40 or 45 volts just like it would have with
> the stock
> > timer.  After the set time elapses, my controller measures the
> battery
> > voltage. If  the battery rest voltage drifts down to 38V, it turns
> the
> > charger on again for another 4.5 min. Therefore, the 38V setpoint
> is not a
> > cutoff voltage, but a start voltage.
> > Full details are on the elec-trak.com website in the Classifieds
> section
> > here:

http://www.elec-trak.com/bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_displ
ay_db_button=on&db_id=15&query=retrieval