Re: (ET) ok, not the fusible link

Likely it was a wire that smoked.  Feel the small wires to see if the
insulation is  relatively supple or harder - carbonized - had been heated
to the point of smoke.  somewhere on the 'load' side of a wire like that
you should find a short circuit or fused relay contacts, fused in other
than their normal relationship.

Dave
Weymouth MA