Re: (ET) charger voltage

So perfection being in neither the batteries or the chargers, we have to
make do with what we got.  What I got is batteries that normally thrown
away and I have found out how to use them when the average person would
shell out big bux for a new pack.   When I lose one of these 'oldies'
(won't mow the full 3/4 acre or so any more because of one bad batt) I
bring it down the town battery recycle area, and look for a couple more
same size 6V.  Individual charge with a  6V charger and test with my
discharge type tester.  Sometimes both of em are better than the one I
threw out.  I keep 'one ahead' on this so I can continue the lawn the
same day.

Seems that a lotta stuff runs good even if it don't run by engineering
book rules.  Example;  The conversion PEV's we drive run by intentionally
overloading both motor and batteries, even cables.  We get by this by
doing only intermittent overloads at traffic lights.  We should, by the
books,  burn out motors fast by this and batteries too.  We don't.  My
120 VDC PEV pulls 400A at a traffic light with a full charge into about a
23HP plate rating motor. It delivers bout twice that, keeps up with
traffic.  This is a rig sold in 1982 with an antique 'commutating SCR'
controller and hasn't busted anything major yet.  Although a lot of stuff
including the pack gets awfully hot.

At a non-EAA  (a local enviro org) electric and hybrid vehicle event bout
50 miles from here, I saw the best condition GE I've ever seen.  Not a
repaint. Decals and seat perfect.  Looked like she was indoor stored all
her life and kept clean, used very little.  Even had the top battery
covers on.  A 12M.  Took pix.  We displayed a Honda Civic hybrid and had
a small version (whatever would fit in a Civic) of the big NEEAA show
display.  Busy at the display all day, great show and lotta people
inquired about the photos of my Solar powered 16, among other things.

Dave
Weymouth MA