-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu
[mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu] On Behalf Of Michael S
Briggs
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 4:32 PM
To: steves
Cc: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) motor current

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, steves wrote:

I thought the motors were more like 1 HP. I have measured the current
with a DVM (if I recall correctly) and it can get over 10A (I think).
Problem is if you blow the DVM fuse - the replacement fuses are
expensive. I'm pretty sure 'idle' current is < 10A so you could
measure
each motor running but not cutting and see if the suspect motor pulls
excess current.

I have gobs of fuses for DVMs here at work (students are constantly
blowing them in our labs), but I think I'll still just try measuring the

voltage drop along the leads to the motors instead.

Mike