Re: (ET) field rev.

Some Design theory inputs for a Friday morning:

- It's less costly to reverse the field polarity to make the motor
reverse.  Smaller contactor required.

- DC motors need field amps and armature amps to produce torque.  Less
field amps creates higher speed and less torque.

- Reversing the field polarity OR armature circuit polarity makes a DC
motor reverse direction.  If you reverse both, same direction.

- Compound winding means there's a "light series" winding on top of the
main shunt field winding which adds flux proportional to armature amps to
"help" the main field produce torque as load goes up.  Unless you change
it's polarity in reverse, it will do the opposite with load - decrease
main field flux and motor speed increases.  That's why no field weakening
in reverse and higher speed under load.  The reason it's used is to
compensate for "armature reaction" (current in the armature "makes" flux
which cancels field flux and causes speed to rise inherently under load).

- You always want full field when running less than rated armature volts
for maximum torque on a DC motor.

- If you "lose" the field (bad contactor, shorted turns in the winding,
bad wiring), the motor will draw very high amps and try to "run away" but
load prevents that.  Ammeter pegs.

- Series DC motors do not have field leads as such and produce high torque
at low speeds as the armature current excites the fields.  If unloaded, it
tries to run away so series motors are always loaded (like car starters,
ship propulsion, locomotive traction motors) and do provide inherent load
sharing capability between multiple motors.

.....Walt
GE Motor Division
Erie PA