Re: (ET) (no subject)

Used solar panels;

If there is a ham radio club that has flea markets (there are 2 here in
New England, one of em is at MIT Boston and has bout 5 a year, and a huge
one In NH) it is a good bet that there will be panels there.  But you
gotta be the first one at the gate.  Too many people look for them.  A
good price is $100 for a 23x42 (or equiv) 50W blue crystalline or other
(black squares or the old 'half circles  crystalline module.
 The amophorus type panels do not last long unless indoors under glass,
are not particularly waterproof.  (in other words, caveat emptor on
anything that is made with one piece of blackish striped glass).
   My panels been up (on the back porch) for bout 4 yrs, give 2 1/2A
(here in New England) at bout 20 OCV and 12V batt chg (each).  3 in
series give bout 60 OCV which puts em right in the middle of their curve
at 36 -42v.  Either one tractor or another is continuously on em rain or
shine,  summer and winter cause using  both of em summer and winter.
These are self regulating under the premise of the old '5% rule, in that
anything under 5%  of a batteries normal fast charge rate will not damage
it. Also, the fact that some days are not sunny helps to keep me from
putting water in the batt packs often.  Might use my AC charger once a
year and that would be in a blizzard,  between shots at it.  got 2
driveways and a sidewalk between em to do.
    These are rated at 50 watts;  I heard that the test facility that
rates em is in FL.  So am happy with their output which is not 50W or
even real constant here in often hazy coastal New England.

I have a bunch of amophorus panels that I would love to sell cheap, they
are untabbed and give over an amp at 12V ea.  However;  they would be a
bear to ship as they have no mounts.  They are 'factory raw materials' .
 If there's anyone near the Boston area that would like to drive over
here and pick up a bunch, talk to me.  Will show them how to do the tabs
and to make em water resistant (not proof)

Dave
Weymouth MA