Re: (ET) (no subject)

Pieter;

The only thing we can really compare our ET useage with is what we would
do if we had to do the same thing with a gas tractor.  In my case, it
took 5 gallons of gas to do my whole lawn in the old Simplicity with a
10hp Briggs on it.  There are lots of 'bobbing and weavings' to be done
on this lawn, hills, backing in and out of the bullrushes etc.  Never
mind the belt slip meaning places that gotta be done over.  Or the yearly
oil changes. Or the darned Wal Mart battery that's gotta be replaced
every couple years.   Or the wintertime, when the Simplicity got chains
and a plow. (which are now replaced with a GE snowblower, and on the
Wheelhorse,  a plow for slushy stuff)
    Ergo;  positive factor;  5 gallons of gas not burned in each lawn
mow.  And spinoffs for each snowstorm, and minor factors such as oil
changes and batts.
As to electricity;  A couple or three yrs back there was a 3 page article
in Current EVents about solar powered ET's in New England.  I am the New
England chapter EAA (NEEAA) secretary and wrote it.  The cover pix was of
my own GE16 tractor.  If I was on the other computer would send a scan of
it.
Seein as my electricity comes from used surplus PV cells (which none of
us EAA people seem to buy new ones, we look for decent recycles) going
into secondhand batteries (ditto) to drive a tractor which most of us (if
not all of us :>)  rescued from the trash or from being scrapped,  it
seems that this whole thing from the tractor, it's batteries, and it's
electric supply (not all electricity is made from fossil fuels) are
positive environmental factors. Recycling not being the least.  And in my
case, the $15 per lawn mow I save on gasoline has already paid for the
panels, and will for an awful long time subsidize any parts, tires etc
that are needed by the tractors.

   I concur with your observation about the 'gas tractor pollution' data,
which may be a misquote as it came to print  - but likely meaning 'HC
emissions compared to a contemporary motor vehicle as read on an
emissions tester'.  I can see that.  And once smelled it on the
Simplicity.  You get black smoke under sudden heavy load on those things
even if they are tuned up perfectly as the governor catches up to the
load.

As to battery gassing;  Nobody has ever said anything about H2 being a
greenhouse gas.  And of course the O part  . . . . .

Will leave the rest for future data lookup.  Battery pollution is covered
in the Fuel Saver's Guide.  It is data well known to people who read EAA
publications.

Does anyone still use charcoal lighter fluid?  I only know a couple of
people who still use a charcoal fire and they use 'light the bag' type
charcoal.  Nobody likes the taste (taint) of raw kerosene.  Can taste it
yet in the hot dogs of my youth.

Keep on Etackin
Dave
Weymouth MA