Re: (ET) steering spindle sticking

Banks, Michael J. wrote:

To make a long story short. Any advice on getting the spindle out of the front end? Or Any advice on the tight steering in general?

Mike:

I think you're doomed. The problem is without grease the front end spindles tend to gall. Once this happens they get *stuck* in there solid. You might try drilling away until the walls collapse, but that's a class-1 pain.

Don't keep trying to steer otherwise you will need a new pillow bearing.

Best option is to buy a new set of spindles and an axle. They go cheap; people have these things sitting in fields, and they tend to last unless you forget to grease them. Call Harold Zimmerman; I think I got mine from him when I did this same thing.

To everyone: Please get a grease gun from somewhere and grease the axles. I recommend the front axles, rear axles, the two spindles and the little one in the middle.

Chris